The Demolition Derby is promoted as an unusual spectator attraction. In the interest of safety, Drivers and Mechanics are subject to, and must obey, the following rules and regulations which are set up by the promoter and the track where this event is being held:
A. Each driver must fill out an entry blank. All drivers must supply their own cars, only one entry per person per class. Proof of ownership may be required on each car entered.
B. All drivers 16 or 17 years of age must have a notarized release signed by his or her parent or guardian. Nobody under 16 years of age can drive.
C. The track or promoter reserves the right to approve or reject any and all entries.
D. All persons must sign the release sheet and receive a pit pass to be permitted in the pit area or on the track.
E. No drinking of alcoholic beverages on track, emergency vehicle area or in the pit area. Any driver or pit person under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be immediately disqualified and removed from the grounds.
F. Any driver or crew member disobeying the rules will cause his or her car to be disqualified. Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated and will be grounds for disqualification and barring from future derbies. Drivers are responsible for the actions of their crew members.
G. Contestants of the Demolition Derby are not employees of Franklin County Speedway or Moonshine Capital Promotions. FCS/MCP will not be responsible for any damage caused by driver’s negligence on the track or in the pit area. “Drivers and pit personnel are responsible for any damage caused by their negligence on the track or in the pit area.”
H. The promoter or track owner will not be held responsible for any cars, parts or personal property before, during and after the show or overnight.
TOWING AND TRANSPORTING CARS
Towing and transporting Demolition Derby cars to and from race locations must meet highway safety codes (including proper light controls, safety chains, tow bars, towing trailers, etc.)
TYPE OF CAR
1. Any hardtop automobile or station wagon is allowed. No limousines, convertibles, jeep or hearses are allowed. Sub frame Imperials only. Compact cars must be 104 inch wheel base or less and 4 cylinders, 6 cylinder class must be 108 inches or less wheel base and 4 or 6 cylinders. No AMC’s in the compact class.
Trucks have a different set of rules when permitted to run.
PREPARATION OF CAR
(Remove following before arriving at fairgrounds or track.)
1. All glass must be removed including windshield, side windows, rear window, head and tail lights. Rolling window is not permitted.
2. Auto must be swept clean. No junk tires, wheels, metal parts, broken glass, etc. allowed in car.
3. Chrome molding strips and the bottom portion of the rear seats must be removed. On station wagons all rear seats and deck lids must be removed. All fiberglass or plastic front header panels or skirting must be removed.
4. Any sharp protruding fins or dangerous objects (mash down or cut off).
5. No special bumpers, reinforcements or trailer hitches permitted. Fenders and bumpers may be trimmed to allow for wheel clearance. On late model, shock bumpers may be lightly welded or short piece of chain from bolt on bumper to bolt on frame. Bumper mounts may not exceed 6″ into frame. Suspension may be stiff.
6. Rear coil spring cars and station wagons that change to shackles and springs, must use a maximum of (5) (Five) leafs on sedans and station wagons. Maximum of 4 clamps per spring, two back are permitted. Leaf springs must be stair-stepped in length and not the same length as the main leaf. All compact and 6 cylinder class cars must use original springs.
7. Hump plates are allowed for coil spring cars, but not with leaf springs. Only one per side of car. Plates may not exceed 1/4″ in thickness, 15″ in length and 4″ in width.
8. Welded solid or chained down engine mounts are recommended. Body mount bolts may be replaced, but only with stock size bolts (no larger than 1″)
9. Radiator must remain in original position or be taken off. Comparable replacement radiators are permitted. Radiators and cooling systems should be flushed of anti-freeze and water added. Transmission coolers are permitted but ONLY if they are secured inside the engine compartment or backseat area covered in a concealed unit.
10. Sun roofs must be covered securely for driver’s safety.
11. A 4-bar enclosure around the inside cab is recommended for safety. 2 long bars, one behind seat, one across dash area, one across each door. Gas tank protectors are permitted. Extending from 4-bar enclosure, not to rear seat panel.
12. All doors must be fastened shut by wire, straps, chains, or welded and reinforced for the driver’s safety. It is recommended the driver’s door be reinforced inside with a steel bar, angle iron, or pipe not to exceed 6″ beyond front door and not beyond rear axel. Doors may be welded with strapping not to exceed 3″ wide. Decision of the officials is final on welding.
13. ONLY ONE BATTERY, any size, is allowed. Battery must be removed from original position, and placed on floorboard of driver’s compartment and securely fastened and covered.
14. Hood, trunk or tailgate may be wired in six (6) places each, 2 strands of wire per hole or light chain. 3″ square plate can be welded in six spots to trunk and tailgate only, trunk and tailgate may not be welded solid! Decision of the officials is final on welding. Hoods may be bolted down with 5/8″ all thread and one round washer. Hoods and trunks must have a minimum of a 20″ diameter hole cut in them. NO WELDS ON HOOD. HOODS MUST BE LEFT OPEN UNTIL AFTER INSPECTION. HOODS MUST REMAIN ON VEHICLES; IF HOOD IS REMOVED THE FAN BLADE MUST BE REMOVED TOO.
15. MASHING DOWN THE REAR SECTION OF ANY VEHICLE WILL BE UP TO THE DISCRETION OF THE OFFICIALS.
16. BOTH FRONT DOORS MUST BE PAINTED WHITE FOR NUMBERING. Special numbers are permitted. NO PROFANITY WILL BE ALLOWED ON ANY PORTION OF CAR.
17. STOCK GAS TANKS MUST BE REMOVED FROM ORIGINAL POSITION AND MUST BE PLACED IN REAR SEATING AREA. NOT IN TRUNK AREA; all tanks must be securely fastened to floor and covered; a portable tank is recommended in place of the original. (NO PLASTIC TANKS) GAS LINES AND FITTINGS TO FUEL TANKS MUST BE SECURED AND LEAK PROOF. only metal or rubber gas lines permitted. (NO PLASTIC LINES!) Maximum four (4) gallons of gas permitted per heat. Electric fuel pumps are permitted, but MUST have a shut-off switch within drivers reach. Inspection official will give final approval on tanks and fittings.
18. Each driver and mechanics must SIGN IN at registration desk the day of the show and have their vehicle INSPECTED at least ONE HOUR prior to show time.
19. IT IS MANDATORY TO HAVE A HOLE CUT A MINIMUM OF A 20″ DIAMETER IN HOOD OVER THE CARBURETOR. HOOD LATCHES MUST BE REMOVED.
20. NO RESTRICTION ON TIRE SIZE. NO STUDS OR SCREWS IN RIMS TO HOLD TIRE. NO SPLIT RIM. WHEEL WEIGHTS MUST BE REMOVED. VALVE STEM PROTECTORS ARE PERMITTED.
21. A STRONG WIRE OR NYLON MESH SCREEN IS RECOMMENDED ON DRIVER’S WINDOWS AND WINDSHIELD AREA. PLEXIGLAS IS PERMITTED IN DRIVER’S WINDSHIELD AREA. IT IS MANDATORY THAT A CHAIN, STRONG WIRE OR STRAP BE SECURED FROM THE CENTER OF ROOF TO DASH FOR A CENTER POST TO STOP HOOD FROM COMING THROUGH FRONT WINDOW.
1. Safety belt, D.O.T. approved helmet, goggles, safety glasses or face shields are required. Long pants and shirts or jackets are required.
2. No deliberate head-on collisions and no deliberate hitting on the driver’s door.
3. Vehicles must have dependable brakes at all times and boundaries must be observed.
4. No cars are permitted in the competition area before the heat in which they are to participate.
5. A vehicle will be disqualified if ANY door comes open during the heat.
6. One minute limit is enforced by the track officials for re-starts and making competitive contact with another car. Hits must be aggressive. Simple contact within the time limit does not constitute combat and could be considered sandbagging.
7. All cars are to be removed from the race track following the show or they will become the property of Moonshine Capital Promotions, Inc. and the officials will have them removed (unless otherwise specified at the driver’s meeting). A removal deposit may be required in some areas.
8. A driver’s $100.00 protest fee is required to contest another car. Fee will be refunded if car is found to be ineligible. Protest must be done before drivers meeting.
9. No one riding on outside of cars anytime due to insurance regulation.
(Additional safety regulations may be imposed in the drivers meeting.)
Boundaries must be observed at all times. Any car shoved or driven out of bounds or is on or over a pole may be immediately disqualified if Derby officials feel it’s a SAFETY HAZARD.
The Derby will be composed of individual heats and one Feature, with cash prizes going to the winners of each heat and grand prize going to winner of the Feature. Decision of the official is final.
These rules supersede any, and all rules previously used.
Rules subject to change without notice
1st – $500
2nd – $250